Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Why Aren't Your Hands Tired?

I love what I do. My favorite part about being a massage therapist is working with special clients and helping them feel better. I very easily can spend up to 8 hours a day working out knots, kinks, aches and pains. My clients tell me all the time, “Your hands have to be so tired at the end of the day”. My response is to tell them that I have no aches or pains. I know that sounds unbelievable but proper massage therapy techniques not only help alleviate client’s pain, the techniques also protect the massage therapist.

Feeling the Pressure

Improper technique leads to thumb and wrist injuries. It is important that as a massage therapist, if I want to have longevity in my career that I use gravity and my body weight when I am massaging.
I also have to pay attention to what the muscles are telling me. If a client’s muscles are resisting, I don’t want to apply too much pressure. This puts both me and my clients at risk for injury.

Perfect Posture

It’s not all in the wrist. There are basic body mechanics and movement that I practice. That means I don’t bend at the back, I remain upright and maintain a comfortable center of balance. I bend at the knees, keep my shoulders relaxed and stretch regularly.
My studio is set up just for me. That means the table height and other equipment is tailored to my body mechanics.

Take Breaks

Taking breaks allows me to stretch and relax my muscles between appointments. I typically try to allow for 15 minutes of stretch and relaxation techniques between each appointment. Giving my muscles a break is just as important as stretching.

Get a Massage

I follow my own advice. As a preventative measure, I get a massage at least once a week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment