Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Surprise! Surprise!



When I was attending massage therapy school, the instructors and my mentor counseled me on what to expect once I started practicing. They were able to explain to me what type of clients I would attract and how to assess different personality types. I am surprised to learn, over the years is that we are all connected by a spiritual energy that helps guide us to certain kinds of people. I had my doubts but the instructors and my mentor was right in their counseling.

What’s Your Pain?

My mentor told me that most of my clients will also have the same physical problems that I have. I thought the clients I gained would come from networking, referrals and marketing. I could not understand how the universe could work in such a way that most of my clients will have neck and shoulder pain. The universe surprised and stopped doubting my mentor when I realized how much I have in common with my clients.

Birds of a Feather…

Before I became a massage therapist, I was in sales. In order to have a successful career in sales, you to possess a strong desire to succeed, be goal oriented, an over-achiever and fairly high strung. The same characteristics apply to many entrepreneurs.
I’m no longer surprised by this, but most of my clients are in sales or run small businesses. Understanding my client’s personality traits impacts how they respond to a massage and determines how I assess their needs and determine treatment.

Spiritual Connections

I possess a sensitivity to others emotions and energies. I reached a point in my life where I wanted to get out of sales and pursue a line of work that allowed me to help and heal others.
What I did not anticipate is the strong spiritual connection I feel with many of my clients. Wanting to help and heal takes empathy. Emotionally being able to connect with someone that is fragile or headstrong determines if a massage therapist can successfully treat their clients. Developing these connections and understanding is something that comes naturally to me.

Listen to the Mentor

Massage therapy school taught me about the nervous and muscle system. My mentor taught me how to treat people. I have learned that gaining an understanding of people, their emotional states and physical pain is the backbone of my business. I am no longer surprised by anything my mentor has taught me.



No comments:

Post a Comment